OSGeoLive

OSGeoLive

Hello everyone! Welcome to my Blog. I am Sunveer, Student participating in Google Code In 2017. In this blog I am sharing about Google Code In and my experience, brief introduction to OSGeo.


Let's Start our Blog By Diving Into Google Code In:
 
Google Code In is an annual  program which is hosted by Google every year from 2010 which allows 13-17 years old young students to get interact with Open Source Organizations. This year about 25 organizations has been selected by Google to provide small tasks to young developers.

There are variety of tasks which are available for students to work on. These tasks can be:
  • Coding
  • Documentation / Training
  • Outreach / Research
  • Quality Assurance
  • User Interface
How i get into GCI: My cousin brother participated in Google Summer of Code and successfully completed his project and he get to know about Google Code In and he told me about it and i was really excited about Google Code In. And now I am definitely loving it.
You can register on GCI website to participate in contest: Google Code In

Working With OSGeo:  Link to OSGeo Page in GCI
 
OSGeo is an organization in Google Code In and currently i am working with this organization. 
Finding organization which you like is not an easy task. I love geography and Maps and OSGeo is an organization which is Based on Geospatial so i get into it.

OSGeo is an umbrella organization, QGIS, Marble , OSGeoLive and many other projects are under this umbrella. 
Mentors of this organization are really so helpful and cool, they help you, they teach you each and everything you want.I usually use my GCI Dashboard and IRC channel to ask my queries. 

OSGeo IRC Channel so you can also get interacted to it: OSGeo IRC link
Getting Into OSGeoLIVE: Link to OSGeoLive Website
OSGeoLive is an Operating System which allows the user to get into Geospatial Softwares which are pre-installed in OSGeoLive. 

I installed OSGeoLive because there are video tasks about OSGeoLive and other than it, in the operating system all the softwares are available which are required for Geospatial Mapping.

If you want to install OSGeoLive you can visit the installation process documentation: Docs for Installing

If you want to install OSGeoLive in virtual box you can visit the installation documentation: Docs for installation in Virtual Box

I install OSGeoLive in my Virtual Box in Linux. I followed all the steps available here: Docs for installation in VB

I was not familiar with OSGeoLive so it was quite difficult to use, so i followed the Quick start guide: Link to Quickstart guide

IRC channel of OSGeoLive: IRC channel of OSGeoLive
I have completed a series of  tasks of OSGeoLive, "Video of using QGIS" and "Video of Using Marble"
Here are some of my screen shots of QGIS and MARBLE.

QGIS- Link to QGIS Website

QGIS is a software which allows the user to create,edit and publish geospatial data.

 

Marble-Link to website

Marble is a desktop globe which gives various options to the user to see the globe in various modes such as Moon, Temperature(July), Historical Map and much more.




I have created a play-list on YouTube of my video tasks which i have done for OSGeoLive: Link to Playlist
 
My personal experience: I have learned many things from mentors, they teach me each and everything. They give me real life experience about Open Source and Development which is the main thing you should have if you want to be a good Open Source Developer.
If you are older than 17 and still want to contribute to OSGeo you can go Here:Contribute to OSGeo 
If you are 13-17 and interested in  Geospatial you should participate in Google Code In and must work with OSGeo.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GCI Week5

GCI Week6